I made those out using my flan au café recipe which comes from Terry Hope Romero’s « Viva Vegan ».
Did you know Japanese love pumpkin flan ?! I actually made these to go to a japanese diner. It definitely suited ! I hope you’ll enjoy it too.
For 6 persons
- 1 cup sugar + 4 Tbsp water (to make the caramel)
- 1/4 red kuri squash diced (I guess you can use regular pumpkin ! here i’d say the recipe calls for approx. 1/2 cup pumpkin puree)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp agar-agar powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cup soy mik
- 2 Tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- If you can’t find canned pumpkin (which is the case here in France !) make it yourself : dice the pumpkin and bake it for 30-40mn in a very hot oven. Then use your blender to make a paste, adding water if too sticky.
- During that time prepare the caramel : boil the water & sugar in a small saucepan untill it gets a nice amber color. Pour onto the mould in a thin layer.
- In another pan mix water and agar-agar. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, half the soy milk, cinnamon and sugars. Mix and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl mix the rest of the soy milk with the cornstach.
- Add the milk+cornstach mix to the saucepan, mix well.
- Little by little combine the pumpkin puree, mixing well.
- Let cook for 5 minutes until it gets creamy.
- Remove for the heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour into the caramelized mould.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then place into the fridge. Wait 4 hours minimum.
- Take the flan out of the mould before serving, trying not to let it slip onto the floor while doing so …